Going into your workout fueled and ready to go will maximize the work you do when you train.
For your pre-workout nutrition, you want to focus on foods that are high in carbs, moderate in protein, and low in fat and fiber. Carbs are your main fuel source for activity and, just as important, it’s the primary fuel source for your brain.
The more substantial the meal is, the more time you want to allow for digestion, so it’s not sitting in your stomach. With that in mind, if you haven’t much time to eat prior to your workout, these simple choices make for a perfectly light pre-workout snack.
- Plain Greek yogurt with berries and granola
- Whole-fruit smoothie
- High-protein oatmeal and blueberries
- Toast with banana and peanut butter
- Apple with almond butter and raisins
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich