It’s not uncommon to find yourself over snacking when stuck inside all day. Keep your diet on point by increasing the amount of water you consume, and reduce your daily carb intake.
Thanks to Oakland’s own Chef Lamont, these tasty low carb, protein packed Cucumber Bites make for a guilt-free way to nibble.
- 2 large English cucumbers
- 1 small package smoked salmon
- 1 small (5.3 oz) container plain Mexican crema or Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- Slice cucumbers into rounds, about ½-inch thick. Leave the skin on, peel them, or partially peel them for a striped look.
- With a melon baller, scoop out the center portion of the cucumber about 1/3 of the way down.
- In a bowl, combine Mexican crema (or Greek yogurt) and chopped chives.
- Transfer the chive crema into a piping bag (or large Ziplock bag with a corner snipped off), then fill into the cucumber rounds..
- Roll small strips of the smoked salmon and place on top of each cucumber.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
An equally tasty vegan option is to stuff the cucumber rounds with Red Pepper Hummus, top with sun dried tomatoes, then sprinkle with vegetable seasoning to garnish.
- 1 small container red pepper hummus
- 1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable spice mix