Bhujangasana, or Cobra Pose, is an integral part of Sun Salutation. This back-bending yoga pose stretches the shoulders, chest, and abdominals, while strengthening the wrists, arms, and back.
By lengthening the spine and opening the upper body and chest, it can significantly help in improving posture as it counteracts the slouch that comes from sitting in front of a computer or while driving. It can also firm and tone the buttocks and thighs, helping to relieve sciatica and decrease stiffness of the lower back.
Other benefits of Cobra Pose include:
- Relieves stress and fatigue
- Elevates mood
- Invigorates the heart
- Stimulates organs in the abdomen, like the kidneys
- Improves circulation of blood and oxygen, especially throughout the spinal and pelvic regions
- Improves menstrual irregularities
- Improves digestion
- Helps to ease symptoms of asthma
Cobra is a highly beneficial stretch that brings more flexibility to your spine and aids your body in feeling more balanced. In addition, the opening of your chest and heart can energize and rejuvenate you throughout the day!